Re: [exim-dev] XCLIENT patch to Exim; Cambridge

Author: John Jetmore
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] XCLIENT patch to Exim; Cambridge
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:

> I think we'd want to know what features are actually used by
> existing proxy front-ends.
>
> Is that Postfix page the sole definition of the ESMTP option?
> I note it doesn't specify the format of an IP address
> (there is an example of an IPv4 one).
>
> Swaks supports it, and mentions another (undocumented!)
> attribute: REVERSE_NAME ...
> ( http://www.jetmore.org/john/code/vmail/latest/doc/ref.txt )

Speaking of standardization and swaks supporting it, I got a trouble
report related to swaks and XCLIENT last night. The person reporting
it was using Message Systems' Momentum MTA (formerly ecelerity). In
particular, it advertised XCLIENT during EHLO like so:

250-XCLIENT

which violates the postfix doc by not listing support attributes, and
on acknowledgement of successful XCLIENT request it responds with

250 2.0.0 XCLIENT handled

Despite the postfix doc listing 220 as the success code.

None of this is really Exim's problem, but as more tools support this,
it would be really nice to point to something other than a postfix
readme as the implementation standard.

--John