Re: [exim-dev] XCLIENT patch to Exim; Cambridge

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-dev
CC: jgh
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] XCLIENT patch to Exim; Cambridge
On 15/01/15 19:00, Phil Pennock wrote:
> FreeBSD is carrying a local patch to Exim, adding XCLIENT support.

[...]
> Guys, okay to pull this patch into Exim?

If you think there's enough value / interest, yup.

The three justifications for it on the Postfix page
are, I think, irrelevant to use with Exim, leaving
only your loadbalancer case.

We need, I think:
- project sponsor
-- delivery positioning (experimental?)
-- legal chasing
- coder/architect
-- builds, testcases, documentation
-- security review (coding, operational constraints, logging)
-- feature-incompatibility (proxy-protocol? TLS? X509 certs?)
-- coding standards
-- feature spinoffs (xcode string expansions?)

[ I'm hoping you're setting yourself up for both roles... ]

Most of the attributes look ok for us to support. I'm dubious
about the LOGIN one though; this feels like a protocol level
violation. OTOH, nginx (according to
https://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/205086 ) does indeed violate
in that way. Echhh. If we did support it I would argue
strong for a separate configuration control on it.

I think we'd want to know what features are actually used by
existing proxy front-ends.

Is that Postfix page the sole definition of the ESMTP option?
I note it doesn't specify the format of an IP address
(there is an example of an IPv4 one).

Swaks supports it, and mentions another (undocumented!)
attribute: REVERSE_NAME ...
( http://www.jetmore.org/john/code/vmail/latest/doc/ref.txt )

--
Cheers,