[exim] Fwd: exim not expiring messages/ cleaning up spool

Author: Corin Langosch
To: Exim-users
Subject: [exim] Fwd: exim not expiring messages/ cleaning up spool
Hi there,

no idea anyone? So I guess this is a bug and I should write to exim-devel?

Thanks
Corin

Betreff: exim not expiring messages/ cleaning up spool
Datum: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:38:51 +0100
Von: Corin Langosch <info@???>
An: Exim-users@???

Hi!

I'm trying to configure exim to throw away all messages it couldn't deliver within 3 days. This is my relevant
configuration:

> begin retry
>
> * * G,3d,30m,1.5

However looking at the contents of /var/spool/exim4 I see many many files in input/* much older than 3 days.

> -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim Debian-exim   5263 Nov  7 22:00 1Xmqds-00030B-8q-D
> -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim Debian-exim    949 Nov  7 23:06 1Xmqds-00030B-8q-H
> -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim Debian-exim   5267 Nov  7 22:02 1Xmqfs-0003ky-MA-D
> -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim Debian-exim    934 Nov  7 23:08 1Xmqfs-0003ky-MA-H
> -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim Debian-exim   9029 Nov  7 22:06 1Xmqjs-0005Es-1U-D

Trying to fix this a few weeks ago, I stopped exim, then deleted all contents of /var/spool/exim4 and restarted it. But
it seems it didn't help at all.

Is this a known bug, limitation or am I doing something wrong?

> Debian GNU/Linux 7.7 (wheezy)
> ii  exim4-base                         4.80-7+deb7u1                 amd64        support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
> ii  exim4-config                       4.80-7+deb7u1                 all          configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
> ii  exim4-daemon-light                 4.80-7+deb7u1                 amd64        lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon

Thanks for any help and happy new year!

Corin