Re: [exim] hard coded alias entry to lookup

Author: Gary Stainburn
To: exim-users
CC: Dean Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] hard coded alias entry to lookup
On Wednesday 12 November 2014 19:48:37 Dean Brooks wrote:
> I would recommend using a router and not an ACL entry to accomplish
> this. A router has the benefit of still blocking during reception due
> to ACL recipient verification, but it will also cover any recipients
> that may forward/redirect to these inactive users. If you use an ACL,
> you won't be able to easily catch those.
>
> Something like this should work, though I haven't tested:
>
> fail_users:
> driver = redirect
> domains = +localdomains
> local_parts = lsearch;/etc/exim/lists/fail_list
> allow_fail
> data = :fail: User no longer here, contact $local_part_data@$domain
> instead fail_verify
>
> The fail_list file would be in the format you described of "user: newuser",
> one entry per line.
>
> --
> Dean Brooks
> dean@???

Thanks for this Dean.

The reason I was looking at doing it as an ACL was to get it to fail early on
in the process to reduce the load on the server, e.g. by not having to do
SPAM / Virus scanning. I hadn't thought about the router being called as part
of recipient verification.

Thanks also for the example syntax for the string expansion. I'll give it a go
later.