Re: [exim] Different local domain for bounces

Author: Chris Knadle
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Different local domain for bounces
On Wednesday, February 05, 2014 20:30:49 George wrote:
> Hi Chris, thanks again for the info.
>
> It would be great to configure some sort of automatic smarthost failover.
>
> I played around with the "fallback_hosts" option for transports and
> routers, but it never attempts to send through these when there is a
> failure on the main server (which I trigger by setting a non-existent
> server, or a wrong password).
>
> Any information on what would be the proper configuration will be
> really appreciated! Thanks a lot

I'm currently too busy to set up a test system to work out the details, but
I'll outline the thought I had so that you might look into it.

The normal way in which I have systems forward mail to a smarthost is having
them log in via SMTP AUTH (over TLS) using a separate login name for each
machine. The client.passwd file contains a list of lines that look like:

mailserver.example.net:Grumpy:BadPassword

When you set a particular smarthost to send mail to, that's usually using a
'manualroute' router, but the manualroute router has options to allow using a
/list/ of machines to send mail through for a particular domain via the
route_list option.

Between these two features you should be able to send mail through another
smarthost if the primary one is down -- automatically.

At least, that's the theory.

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle