Re: [exim] No '550' error code in 'Unrouteable address' boun…

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] No '550' error code in 'Unrouteable address' bounce message
Hi

On 12/12/2013 08:50, Konstantin Boyandin wrote:
> I noticed that Exim 4.72's default configuration doesn't include 550
> error code when sending bounce about unrouteable address.
>
> Is it possible to force sending error code? Is this behavior by design?

Er... connecting to my MX and doing this:

RCPT TO:<thisdoesnotroute@???>
550 Recipient verification failed.
QUIT

...gives a 550, as you can see.

Now, in the case that a remote system does that, how it synthesises the
550 and returns it to the actual sender is up to it. How the client
displays that is up to the client. But my system, running Exim, doing
nothing too fancy clearly serves up the 550 message.

Graeme