Re: [exim-dev] Vagrant&Chef and/or Exim Build Farm

Author: Todd Lyons
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Vagrant&Chef and/or Exim Build Farm
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Todd Lyons <tlyons@???> wrote:

>>> Todd is working on some Vagrant stuff that might change that and make it easier to benchmark?
>> 1. Phil's idea is to use Vagrant (multi OS images) with Chef for
>> configuration control. Then you can get build results by building the
> Well this approach is kind of dead for a bit since the CPU in my Dell
> 2850 which I thought had VT extensions, does not in fact have them.
> As a result, I can't boot 64 bit images in virtualbox, only 32 bit
> images. Until I can do some kind of hardware upgrade to get CPU
> virtual support so I can do 64 bit images, this approach is a
> non-starter.

The hardware gods smiled upon me and I now have a machine with VT
extensions, so 64 bit images now boot up. I migrated my webserver to
the newer machine (lower power, unfortunately also lower disk space).

So far I have setup a few basic Vagrant images:

[farm@mail ~]$ ls vagrant/
CentOS_5.9_64_Chef  CentOS_6.4_64_Chef      Debian_Squeeze_64_Chef
CentOS_6.4_32_Chef  Debian_Squeeze_32_Chef  FreeBSD_9.1_64_zfs

I also have several bare repos that I plan to process:

[farm@mail ~]$ ls exim/
exim.git exim-jgh.git exim-pdp.git exim-tlyons.git

There's a lot to do yet, but I'm taking baby steps. The next step in
this sequence is to get Chef recipes built for each of the OSes to
provide consistent build platforms.

I'm not firmly settled on how to structure the build management, but
my general approach will be to script something so that I can call it
from cron:
1. Loop through several repo/branch combinations and do 'git remote
update' and parse results of 'git status -uno'.
2. If any are updated, do a pull and flag the branch/repo name for
rebuilding, else exit.
3. Loop through the machine list, start the machine, do a git pull
against my local cloned repos, do the build (and make test?) for each
branch/repo.
4. Submit each set of results somewhere (TBD, probably something
version controlled so can look through history).

...Todd