Re: [exim-dev] Vagrant&Chef and/or Exim Build Farm

Author: Todd Lyons
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Vagrant&Chef and/or Exim Build Farm
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Todd Lyons <tlyons@???> wrote:

>> Todd is working on some Vagrant stuff that might change that and make it easier to benchmark?
> Phil and I had spoken offline a while back about various ways of
> making development better/easier and increasing confidence in commits.
> We have ideas that complement each other in an effort to achieve
> this.
>
> 1. Phil's idea is to use Vagrant (multi OS images) with Chef for
> configuration control. Then you can get build results by building the

Well this approach is kind of dead for a bit since the CPU in my Dell
2850 which I thought had VT extensions, does not in fact have them.
As a result, I can't boot 64 bit images in virtualbox, only 32 bit
images. Until I can do some kind of hardware upgrade to get CPU
virtual support so I can do 64 bit images, this approach is a
non-starter.

> 2. My thoughts were a little less extravagant. I was a member of the
> Samba build farm for a few years. Participants' machines synced to
> the master samba buildfarm server (multiple repos), built multiple
> configs when new commits were found, ran samba torture (essentially
> make test), and results were submitted back up to a master samba
> buildfarm server, where it was parsed and made available for
> display/analysis. I'd like to consider doing the same for Exim.
> There are a couple of public projects that use a distributed build
> farm, and we could simply model off of their systems.

I'm going to work on this approach for now. Short of inheriting a
Dell 1950 or R-210, I just won't be able to upgrade my webserver
again.

...Todd