[exim-dev] Vagrant&Chef and/or Exim Build Farm

Author: Todd Lyons
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Vagrant&Chef and/or Exim Build Farm
Phil P mentioned this in another thread:

> Todd is working on some Vagrant stuff that might change that and make it easier to benchmark?

Phil and I had spoken offline a while back about various ways of
making development better/easier and increasing confidence in commits.
We have ideas that complement each other in an effort to achieve
this.

1. Phil's idea is to use Vagrant (multi OS images) with Chef for
configuration control. Then you can get build results by building the
master branch across multiple platforms. I also envision the ability
for a dev to submit his/her own repo and branch(es) as a source, and
have it build those targets as well. Anybody with Vagrant/Chef
experience, I welcome advice and input on how to best implement this.
So far, I have a user named "farm", and am about to install a few
different OS images under vagrant. It's all new to me. I'm browsing
Vagrant/Chef HOWTOs now.

2. My thoughts were a little less extravagant. I was a member of the
Samba build farm for a few years. Participants' machines synced to
the master samba buildfarm server (multiple repos), built multiple
configs when new commits were found, ran samba torture (essentially
make test), and results were submitted back up to a master samba
buildfarm server, where it was parsed and made available for
display/analysis. I'd like to consider doing the same for Exim.
There are a couple of public projects that use a distributed build
farm, and we could simply model off of their systems.

The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive, but they do have common
portions which make it somewhat duplicative to do both. Comments,
feedback?

...Todd