Re: [exim] Special log after mail has been delivered

Author: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Special log after mail has been delivered
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 07:04:36PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> I need to write special logs to a database when the mail is received and
> after it has been (successful or not) delivered as well as when it
> bounces.
>
> For the first I can use a condition in acl to call a own embedded perl
> script that is doing the stuff. But for the other two logging issues I
> did not found any way to call a perl subroutine. The best I can archive
> is to have a condition in the router. But this gives me no way to see
> the status of the delivered mail.
>
> Do you see any way to do it?

It seems me you have no chances to catch ALL the bounce cases in routers
and transports: there may be situations such as insufficient memory for
Exim, disk overflow and others... I belive the only reliable solution is
to parse logs and extract relevant entries.

Parsing may be done on the fly, via exim -> syslog -> program(pipe),
of logging to program via named pipe (man fifo), or some other way.
--
Eugene Berdnikov