Re: [exim] missing log entries

Author: Phil Pennock
To: ci
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] missing log entries
On 2013-05-06 at 14:47 +0200, ci@??? wrote:
> Output of strace says:
>
> | open("/var/log/exim4_incoming/mainlog", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
> | write(4, "2013-05-06 14:30:53 1UZKZB-0007Ho-3k <= root@???
> | U=root P=local S=312 from <root@???> for admin@???\n", 117) = 117
>
> That reveals why the log entry was not where I expected. This entry
> has been written to /var/log/exim4_incoming/mainlog not /var/log/exim4/mainlog

You have two separate binaries installed. The one being used to accept
incoming connections logs to /var/log/exim4_incoming/%slog and the one
being used for deliveries logs to /var/log/exim4/%slog.

If two separate binaries is intentional, then you might want to use
syslog instead and stream the logs to one place.

If you want the delivery to use the same binary as the receiving, then
the problem is that the path incoming-Exim was told would be its
installed path is actually pointing to the other binary. You can use
the `exim_path` option in the configuration file used for incoming-Exim
to point it to the actual installed binary and ensure that when Exim
exec's itself, it really is running the same binary.

If everything, except the split logs, about the current setup is
intentional, and you don't want to use syslog, then all I can do is
suggest that you script 20 lines of Perl to merge your two sets of logs
into /var/log/exim4_combined/...

-Phil