Re: [exim] missing log entries

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: <exim-users@exim.org>
CC: <ci@holmco.de>
Subject: Re: [exim] missing log entries

On 6 May 2013, at 18:16, Phil Pennock <exim-users@???> wrote:

> On 2013-05-06 at 14:47 +0200, ci@??? wrote:
>> Output of strace says:
>>
>> | open("/var/log/exim4_incoming/mainlog", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
>> | write(4, "2013-05-06 14:30:53 1UZKZB-0007Ho-3k <= root@???
>> | U=root P=local S=312 from <root@???> for admin@???\n", 117) = 117
>>
>> That reveals why the log entry was not where I expected. This entry
>> has been written to /var/log/exim4_incoming/mainlog not /var/log/exim4/mainlog
>
> You have two separate binaries installed. The one being used to accept
> incoming connections logs to /var/log/exim4_incoming/%slog and the one
> being used for deliveries logs to /var/log/exim4/%slog.

Well, maybe one binary, but two configurations. One configuration that listens for incoming mail, and places it on the queue, but does not deliver it. The other that only launches queue runners at intervals.

We do something similar, but we have two listeners (one for authenticated mail, the other for inbound mail), and a queue runner (for anything that isn't immediately delivered).

Our separate configurations log in different places, and sometimes the deliveries are logged separately from the message acceptance.

If Exim is using a config file other than the default, you may be able to see this with ps -aux | grep -i exim or ps -fe| grep -i exim.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex