Re: [exim] Exim 4.8 build issue

Author: George R Kasica
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.8 build issue
>George,
>
>It really, really, is not an Exim issue....

I'm not going to argue if it is or isn't other applications of current
vintage and exim 4.77 work just fine here 4.80 does not.

>Eleven years ago?

The system has current sets of all utilities, bind, exim, etc. except
for 2 program sets that are the once needed. Don't let he way it was
phrased confuse you. It's current in all respects but the libc areas
since its not a development box and was never meant to be. I don't
claim to be a programmer so I've never worried about upgrading glibc
etc. as I'm told that doing such is not a trivial process and best
left alone unless needed.

>Fossil that I am, even I had moved on from FreeBSD 4.X by the FOUR year
>mark. And it had not BEEN a kludge of the above sort to begin with...

Just because its a linux from scratch system doesn't make it a kludge.
If you search for Linux from scratch you'll see that there is actually
a quite well documented and supported community to build
distro-independent systems and at the time there was noting else
available but that.

>Trying to keep archeo-coprolytes going by piecemeal measures is giving
>rise to a collective headache. Or maybe I have the wrong end of the anatomy.

I don't think trying to make an upgrade of a mal program work is
hardly in the class you're making this out to be when all other
aspects of the mail system (SA, clam, majordomo, etc. are current and
running)

>Put the latest and best onto another box, focus on upgrading those apps
>that supposedly don't have modern equivalents (which I do not believe),
>and prep for the classical 'parallel cutover' .. to carry you the NEXT
>fifteen years if you must.

DO you have the $$$ to donate for another box? I run this as a
non-profit/volunteer effort which gets funds as folks deem worthy to
donate...I don't have a spare $1-2000 lying around to buy/build a new
box and then transfer port over the apps some of which are critical
but no longer supported. If you'd like to volunteer time and or
resources we'd really appreciate it....not everyone has a corporate
parent/checkbook to dig money out of as needed.

>Nothing lasts forever, least of all rapidly evolving F/LOSS software..

I have no idea why you consider exim "rapidly evolving" FLOSS
software...its basic structure and functions are not greatly changed
since V 2-3x with exception of the scripting language changes in I
think it was the start of the 3.6x series. And even then unless you
did some very fancy functions the majority ported right over
unchanged.

>Otherwise, the museum - or troll parking lot - is down the hall somewhere...

Bill, I'm hardly a troll, I've been working with Unix/Linux since 1992
and Exim since Version 3.15 or so in June 2000 so please don't treat
someone looking for assistance as such.

I can remember when this list was helpful to all users not just a
place for some to show how much you knew vs. others or how
fast/big/shiny your servers are.

--
===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX