Re: [exim] Continuing development of Exim

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: <exim-users@exim.org>
CC: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [exim] Continuing development of Exim
On 8 May 2012, at 09:44, Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2012-05-07 at 13:25 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> I have a feeling or worry that since Philip Hazel has retired, Exim may
>> see much less development and go into a kind of "maintenance mode". I
>> think it's in danger of falling by the wayside if that happens.
>
> Philip Hazel retired a few years ago. Take a look at the git server
> (git.exim.org) and see the commit history.

Also, look at the deployment stats that are available:

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201104/mxsurvey.html

This survey is a year old, but suggests that Exim usage on public facing mail servers has steadily climbed to 45% of domains surveyed that reported software versions in their greeting. Half didn't report, so that figure might be as low as 20%, or even as high as 70%.

The graph shows what looks like a linear migration from Sendmail to Exim, but also steady growth for postfix, and an accelerating decline for Microsoft since mid 2007. The latter trend may be due to a tendency to hide Exchange servers behind a gateway with perceived security benefits.

I don't know if there's anyone on the list who pays the $500 annual Security Space subscription. If there is, they might be able to tell us whether these trends have continued in the past year.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex