Re: [exim] Continuing development of Exim

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Chris Wilson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Continuing development of Exim
On 2012-05-07 at 13:25 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I have a feeling or worry that since Philip Hazel has retired, Exim may
> see much less development and go into a kind of "maintenance mode". I
> think it's in danger of falling by the wayside if that happens.

Philip Hazel retired a few years ago. Take a look at the git server
(git.exim.org) and see the commit history.

Exim's a pretty mature product, but when the situation warrants, we
still work on it and make releases.

Our current goal is to make a release about every six months, if nothing
more urgent has forced a release sooner than that. But we're also
entirely volunteer based, with no corporate/institutional backing, so it
depends upon the schedules of the people involved.

If we were meeting the six month target, we'd have gotten a release out
in April. We didn't, but I'm trying to wrap up some things now, hoping
to get a release candidate out Real Soon Now. Hopefully this week.

> I would be interested to know anyone has plans for future development, in
> particular what we might call "exim 5"? I have some wild ideas that I'd
> like to throw out there to see what people think. I expect to get flamed
> for some of them :) I don't expect them all to succeed, but hope that they
> may start interesting discussions.

If you have wild ideas, the best thing to do is fork, try them out, show
them off and see what people think, based on the evidence of the work
you've done. It worked for Philip Hazel, in creating Exim. :)

-Phil