Re: [exim] Recipient checking wrong server name?

Author: Iain Houston
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recipient checking wrong server name?
Thanks for taking the time guys! I appreciate it very much
you spelling it out so clearly.

exim (and the recipients' MTAs) use these host names from
so many different sources. So i was quite confused before.

As a result I've made several changes that test out well.
I am hopeful (confident even!) that they'll scale up in production.
Big test is when we send out nearly three thousand newsletters
shortly.

What I did:
So now I have primary_hostname = s15917281.onlinehome-server.info
which will match the rDNS of the server; and I have added s15917281...
to the list of SPF designated mail sources on all my clients' TXT records.
Although it would seem (e.g. mta1008.bt.mail.ukl.yahoo.com) uses the
TXT's ipv4: (ip address) rather than any a: value (domain name) supplied.

On 1 May 2012, at 15:19, Ted Cooper wrote:

> The only possible change would
> be to make sure rDNS matches the HELO/EHLO

OK, so I also did
hostname s15917281.onlinehome-server.info
and swaks shows me that exim now sends this as the HELO
whereas before the HELO was coombe.villagenet.info

On 1 May 2012, at 10:33, Bill Hayles wrote:

> Is there an reason, other than maybe vanity, why you want to use coombe.villagenet.info
> as your primary hostname? This is purely a technical matter;
> receipients will still see your mail as coming from
> coombe.villagenet.info

Thanks for confirming this. Good reasons? No ... partly ignorance;
partly vanity; partly I'd attempted to have as few settings as possible
dependent on any particular hosting provider; partly I hadn't included
s15917281.. as a mail source in my submission to Yahoo bulk mail :-(

But I now submit to the realities! ... until I can afford to
"find a better neighbourhood for the server to live in" :-)