Re: [exim] Configuring Exim as an SMTP AUTH client only

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Dan
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Configuring Exim as an SMTP AUTH client only
On 2012-05-02 at 21:18 -0400, Dan wrote:
> If I want to configure Exim as an SMTP AUTH client (but I don't need an
> SMTP AUTH server) do I need to install Dovecot or Cyrus (or any other
> SASL implementation or additional software) or do I simply need to
> properly configure Exim's config file?

The latter. Probably looking up the password from an external file.

> If there is an example (or tutorial) that might get me going in the
> right direction for this kind of setup, or if anyone would be willing to
> give me a general roadmap, I would greatly appreciate it.

You configure something after "begin authenticators", as an
authentication driver, for the correct SASL method.

For instance, if the server you're talking to "AUTH CRAM-MD5 PLAIN" you
might configure:

auth_cram:
  driver        = cram_md5
  public_name   = CRAM-MD5
  client_name   = dan
  client_secret = sekret

In reality, you'll use something like ${lookup...} instead of
hard-coding passwords in the config file.

-Phil