Re: [exim] Exim not using /etc/aliases file

Author: Todd Lyons
To: andrew
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not using /etc/aliases file
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Andrew Stringer <andrew@???> wrote:

> I need to deliver mail to an address in /etc/aliases, rancid-admin-gy. The

I assume you have a router and transport which actually reads
/etc/aliases? And this router is processed chronologically before the
remote smtp transport:

> [root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]# exim  -bt rancid-admin-GY
> rancid-admin-GY@???
>  router = smarthost, transport = remote_smtp
>  host gy-inet04.gyprod.int.igt.com [172.27.201.121]

> However looking in the main.log reveals that rancid-admin-GY is not
> getting expanded out to uktechops@???.

Are you talking about the smtp envelope?
Are you talking about header rewriting?
Your best bet is to use tcpdump or ngrep to look at the smtp
conversation occurring between your rancid machine and the smtp server
it's sending it to.

> My only thought is that /etc/aliases is not used to send mail, only to
> receive it. If this is the case, how is the best way to expand an outgoing
> alias?

If you're sending it from localhost to localhost, that's "receiving" it.

> And before you ask, I can't change the sending MUA to send to the correct
> destination email address because it is hard coded :-}

No need, you should be able to expand your aliases.

...Todd
violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding