[exim] Exim not using /etc/aliases file

Author: Andrew Stringer
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim not using /etc/aliases file
Hi, I am using exim on a server to deliver mail to another exim server
which delivers to the corp exchange filth. All these are internal and mail
does not need to be routed to the internet.

gy-asp-mon01.prod.wagerware.net -> gy-inet04.gyprod.int.igt.com ->
exchange

I need to deliver mail to an address in /etc/aliases, rancid-admin-gy. The
lines in /etc/aliases are:-
[root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]# tail -12 /etc/aliases

# RANCID Aliases
rancid-admin-GY:        uktechops@???
#rancid-GY:             richard.jones@???
rancid-GY:              uktechops@???

scope:          root
cacti:          root

# Person who should get root's mail
root:           andrew.stringer@???
[root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]#

An initial debug picks up the correct smarthost and sending mail to real
users eg. xxx.yyy@??? works fine.

[root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]# exim -bt rancid-admin-GY
rancid-admin-GY@???
router = smarthost, transport = remote_smtp
host gy-inet04.gyprod.int.igt.com [172.27.201.121]

However looking in the main.log reveals that rancid-admin-GY is not
getting expanded out to uktechops@???.

My only thought is that /etc/aliases is not used to send mail, only to
receive it. If this is the case, how is the best way to expand an outgoing
alias?

And before you ask, I can't change the sending MUA to send to the correct
destination email address because it is hard coded :-}

Regards,
Andrew.