Re: [exim] Exim not using /etc/aliases file

Author: Mike Kennedy
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not using /etc/aliases file
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Andrew Stringer <andrew@???>wrote:

> Hi, I am using exim on a server to deliver mail to another exim server
> which delivers to the corp exchange filth. All these are internal and mail
> does not need to be routed to the internet.
>
> gy-asp-mon01.prod.wagerware.net -> gy-inet04.gyprod.int.igt.com ->
> exchange
>

> I need to deliver mail to an address in /etc/aliases, rancid-admin-gy. The
> lines in /etc/aliases are:-
> [root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]# tail -12 /etc/aliases
>
> # RANCID Aliases
> rancid-admin-GY:        uktechops@???
> #rancid-GY:             richard.jones@???
> rancid-GY:              uktechops@???

> scope:          root
> cacti:          root

> # Person who should get root's mail
> root:           andrew.stringer@???
> [root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]#

> An initial debug picks up the correct smarthost and sending mail to real
> users eg. xxx.yyy@??? works fine.
>
> [root@gy-asp-mon01 exim]# exim -bt rancid-admin-GY
> rancid-admin-GY@???
> router = smarthost, transport = remote_smtp
> host gy-inet04.gyprod.int.igt.com [172.27.201.121]
>

> However looking in the main.log reveals that rancid-admin-GY is not
> getting expanded out to uktechops@???.
>
> My only thought is that /etc/aliases is not used to send mail, only to
> receive it. If this is the case, how is the best way to expand an outgoing
> alias?
>
> And before you ask, I can't change the sending MUA to send to the correct
> destination email address because it is hard coded :-}
>

> Regards,
> Andrew.

Accidentally sent this directly to Andrew at first...

Hi Andrew! My first guess would be that your rancid-admin-gy address is
being accepted by an earlier router than the system_aliases router. If you
haven't changed the router section that comes out of the box, you should
verify that your local_domains list contains
gy-asp-mono1.prod.wagerware.net (possibly
@). If you have modified the routers section in your config file, I'd say
it deserves another look.

I don't believe exim logs actions taken by routers that use the redirect
driver, but it should log the router that finally accepts the email as
"R=router" in the delivery line in mainlog, which may put you on the right
track.