[exim] Help with empty sender_domains being rejected when ch…

Author: paul.mcilfatrick
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Help with empty sender_domains being rejected when checking a domains whitelist file
I am an occasional Exim admin who inherited the system and made some minor changes over time.

Some time ago I introduced a trusted whitelist domain file in our Exim which has almost totally removed SPAM. However, I only noticed yesterday that my change has broken the reporting of errors in our local mail distribution list files.

In the router section our Exim configuration file there is:

driver = redirect
errors_to = ${local_part}-request@???
file = /etc/exim/lists/${local_part}.dis
syntax_errors_to = postmaster@???

and in the ACL section the following:

# Only allow e-mails coming through the our relay servers from those domains in the 'whitelist' file.
  deny    hosts         = +Company_relays
          !sender_domains = lsearch;/etc/exim/trusted-domains.txt
          message       = Domain '$sender_domains' not in trusted list!
          logwrite      = E-mail from '$sender_address' not in domain 'whitelist' file - 'rcpt' acl deny!

but what I find in the rejectlog is:

2012-03-21 09:24:20 H=(xxx.yyy.zzz.net) [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd] F=<> rejected RCPT <bos-dev-request@???>: Domain '' not in trusted list!

How can I allow e-mails resulting from errors in the local mail list files to not be rejected?

Paul McIlfatrick