Re: [exim] Help with empty sender_domains being rejected whe…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: paul.mcilfatrick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help with empty sender_domains being rejected when checking a domains whitelist file
On 2012-03-21 at 10:03 +0000, paul.mcilfatrick@??? wrote:
>           !sender_domains = lsearch;/etc/exim/trusted-domains.txt

[...]
> 2012-03-21 09:24:20 H=(xxx.yyy.zzz.net) [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd] F=<> rejected RCPT <bos-dev-request@???>: Domain '' not in trusted list!
>

> How can I allow e-mails resulting from errors in the local mail list files to not be rejected?

----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
10.10 Special host list patterns
--------------------------------

If a host list item is the empty string, it matches only when no remote host is
involved. This is the case when a message is being received from a local
process using SMTP on the standard input, that is, when a TCP/IP connection is
not used.
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
6.21 Empty items in lists
-------------------------

An empty item at the end of a list is always ignored. In other words, trailing
separator characters are ignored. Thus, the list in

senders = user@domain :

contains only a single item. If you want to include an empty string as one item
in a list, it must not be the last item. For example, this list contains three
items, the second of which is empty:

senders = user1@domain : : user2@domain

Note: There must be white space between the two colons, as otherwise they are
interpreted as representing a single colon data character (and the list would
then contain just one item). If you want to specify a list that contains just
one, empty item, you can do it as in this example:

senders = :

In this case, the first item is empty, and the second is discarded because it
is at the end of the list.

So:
!sender_domains = : lsearch;/etc/exim/trusted-domains.txt

is specifying a domainlist of two items, where the first is the empty
string, the second causes an lsearch lookup.

Section 10.10 is about host-lists, but without an IP address, the domain
search-key is empty and the same matching rules apply. Suggestions for
documentation fixes welcome.

-Phil