Re: [exim] usage/popularity of Exim

Góra strony
Autor: Klaus Ethgen
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] usage/popularity of Exim

Am Di den 24. Jan 2012 um 15:02 schrieb Graeme Fowler:
> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 14:28 +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> > I like the statistic from security space[0] for obvious reason ;-)
>
> ...which shows the rise of Ubuntu as an installed server OS, and
> WHM/cPanel as hosting control panels - all of which use Exim by default.
>
> There's good reason for that choice having been made, but it is not one
> made by most of the admins involved - it's been pre-selected for them.

Might be.

> Notably however Exim is now not installed in RHEL6 (and therefore
> CentOS6); it is included in the EPEL repository and can be chosen, but
> the default is Postfix. I doubt that will contribute greatly.

Postfix is much less flexible than exim. However, I like to suggest
postfix for not expert users if they ask for an MTA as the possibility
for harm is smaller.

> For me "it's really popular" is not a massive consideration when looking
> at software. "We can make it do what we need it to" overrides
> everything.

True. The statistic above I use for arguing with managers. They like if
they have a graphic. And if it fit with my preferred technical solution

Regards
   Klaus
--
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/