Re: [exim] IP hearder checking for real time blacklist

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IP hearder checking for real time blacklist
On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 13:37 +0000, Kebba Foon wrote:
> well some of you might say why not ask the client to clean there
> systems, this will be to much difficult as we an ISP with hundred's of
> client and most of this IP's are behind huge NATed networks you can't
> just tell them to "clean their network".

Yes you can. Many do.

> i will be happy if there is a way to strip of the client IP on my server
> before further transmission to destination mail server. this way i will
> have only the trouble of making sure my server is not blacklisted
> anywhere.

If you strip the Received: headers from the emails traversing your
system then all emails will appear to have originated on your system
itself. That means you are *more likely* to end up being blacklisted as
the only originating information will be yours.

Think about it: if you have clients who are irresponsibly pumping
malware through your gateways, and you hide the originator, your gateway
will appear to be the source.

Yes, you can tell them to clean their networks.

Graeme