Re: [exim] IP hearder checking for real time blacklist

Author: Kebba Foon
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IP hearder checking for real time blacklist
On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 16:01 +0000, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 13:37 +0000, Kebba Foon wrote:
> > well some of you might say why not ask the client to clean there
> > systems, this will be to much difficult as we an ISP with hundred's of
> > client and most of this IP's are behind huge NATed networks you can't
> > just tell them to "clean their network".
>
> Yes you can. Many do.

I guess i can, but these customers are really not technical they just
want to get their mails send. explaining the situation to them will be
like teaching rocket science to a kindergarten.

> > i will be happy if there is a way to strip of the client IP on my server
> > before further transmission to destination mail server. this way i will
> > have only the trouble of making sure my server is not blacklisted
> > anywhere.
>
> If you strip the Received: headers from the emails traversing your
> system then all emails will appear to have originated on your system
> itself. That means you are *more likely* to end up being blacklisted as
> the only originating information will be yours.

Thats not something i have considered, but if i can run spam/virus scan
on outgoing mails maybe this will reduce this problem. i understand that
will also cause a lot of load on my servers, but atleast i will not
receive disturbing mails pointing out how inefficient my system is.

> Think about it: if you have clients who are irresponsibly pumping
> malware through your gateways, and you hide the originator, your gateway
> will appear to be the source.

Well normally i ask out ISP team to block smtp to all other destination
expect our mail servers and usually ask the customer to get professional
help on cleaning their system.

> Yes, you can tell them to clean their networks.
>
> Graeme

Kebba