Re: [exim] How to force exim to load file with whitelist IPs…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to force exim to load file with whitelist IPs into memory
no.spa@??? wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to ask, if this is possible to force exim to load files with
> whitelist IPs into memory.
>
> Currently I've setup
>
> hosts my_whitelist = net-iplsearch;/etc/my_whitelist
>
> and I access this via
>
> !hosts = +my_witelist
>
> but when I check stat of file /etc/my_whitelist I get information that this
> file was accessed when exim checked for data in this file.
>
> Because this file is 10kb and its size is growing up, I would like to know
> if this is possible to somehow load this file into exim memory and then
> exim
> will check for IPs in this file without access to filesystem ? This will
> reduce I/O wait on my server.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Mike Nospa

Not enough info.

That the file was 'accessed' does not necessarily mean that a disk-read
was involved. You'd have to look to your OS and its VM methodology,
toolsets, and stats to find that out with greater certainty.

Ordinarily, Exim, as with any other app, relies on the OS for such
housekeeping, so having the OS put the file into RAMdisk is a
possibility IF it is not already VM-cached and IF it actally represents
a significant load.

I use an ignorant flat-file that is around 23-25K for LBL, search it
many times from different acl phases... and it is such a low part of
Exim's workload that I can't be bothered even optimizing it into a CDB
or such.

YMMV

Bill
--