Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 8.20-RC1 is available - Please Test

Author: Sheri
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 8.20-RC1 is available - Please Test
On 9/14/2011 11:31 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Herczeg Zoltán wrote:
>
>> You are right the RunTest.bat was not updated. The strange thing is
>> that its current state shouldn't call JIT at all since its support is
>> totally missing from RunTest.bat and the basic tests does not force
>> JIT compilation. This is true for forcing pcre_study. Could you send
>> me the differences as well?
> You should have received Sheri's message via me; I forwarded it. You're
> right about RunTest.bat; it shouldn't have triggered JIT at all. Only
> tests 14 and 15 have JIT options actually in the testinput files, and
> RunTest.bat doesn't at the moment call those tests. 14 should be run
> when JIT support is enabled, and 15 when JIT support is not enabled.
> This is a real mystery. As I have no access to any Windows machines, I
> can't really help any more with this.
>
> RunTest.bat just seems to run all the tests regardless, assuming that
> PCRE is configured with full support for everything (UTF-8, Unicode
> properties) and a link size of 2, whereas RunTest checks the
> configuration and skips non-relevant tests. Does this matter?
>
> Philip

I think what happens in RunTest script is multiple executions of each of
the 15 tests

1. pcretest -q
2. pcretest -q -s
3. pcretest -q -s+

In the interim it writes testtry for each test and compares it to the
relevant testoutput.

Its rather difficult to establish what went wrong if there is a bad compare.

I've made three versions of RunTest.bat (RunTestNormal.bat,
RunTestStudy.bat and RunTestJIT.bat). I also worked out testing for
utf-8, ucp and jit support to skip appropriate tests.

RunTestNormal and RunTestStudy report no compare differences. But when I
use my RunTestJIT.bat file, I get the same comparison differences in
tests 1, 2, 4 and 11 that I had seen using the sh script in Msys.

Possibly this is connected with default newline of ANYCRLF with JIT in
effect. It appears that \n is not being recognized as a newline.

From the Windows cmd console:

> pcretest

PCRE version 8.20-RC1 2011-09-12

re> /^abc$/m
data> abc\nzzz

0: abc
data>
re> /^abc$/mS+
data> abc\nzzz

No match
data>
re> /^abc$/mS
data> abc\nzzz

No match

But if I restart pcretest:

> pcretest

PCRE version 8.20-RC1 2011-09-12

re> /^abc$/mS
data> abc\nzzz

0: abc

It seems that the other valid ANYCRLF newlines are also failing to be
recognized with S+ (I tried \r and \r\n in the data portion, and got No
match.)

Regards,
Sheri