Re: [exim] 30 minute delay outgoing mail : tahini.csx.cam.ac…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Exim, Always Learning
Subject: Re: [exim] 30 minute delay outgoing mail : tahini.csx.cam.ac.uk

On 7 Sep 2011, at 09:39, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2011, at 02:09, Always Learning wrote:
>
>> Mailing list emails sent to me show a 30 minute delay at Tahini.
>
> Finding it hard to care here. Mailing lists are not supposed to be
> a real time medium.

They're not, but users are generally used to fairly short lags, and short lags do make conversations flow better. For announcement lists, a 40 minute delay means nothing, but for a discussion list, regular 40 minute delays would be unfortunate.

At Sussex, *all* our mailing lists are VERPd, and by Mailman not Exim. We did see problems where occasional use of a very large list would delay messages on all lists, by flooding the outgoing queue runner.

We mitigated delays by using a higher number of Mailman outgoing queue runners. We have this in Mailman/mm_cfg.py:

QRUNNERS = [
    ('ArchRunner',     4), # messages for the archiver
    ('BounceRunner',   4), # for processing the qfile/bounces directory
    ('CommandRunner',  4), # commands and bounces from the outside world
    ('IncomingRunner', 4), # posts from the outside world
    ('NewsRunner',     4), # outgoing messages to the nntpd
    ('OutgoingRunner', 32), # outgoing messages to the smtpd
    ('VirginRunner',   4), # internally crafted (virgin birth) messages
    ('RetryRunner',    4), # retry temporarily failed deliveries
    ]

The 32 outgoing queue runners mean that slow recipient hosts aren't such a problem.

You can also set VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL to something other than 1, to reduce the VERP overhead.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex