Re: [exim] Rewriting address phrases

Author: Ian Cameron
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rewriting address phrases
Thanks for the responses so far. I have grouped similar responses together
below with my answers.

Ian Eiloart said:

> AFAICS, obs-phrase wasn't offered as an option in rfc822, but it seems to me
> that the dot has been legal in unquoted display names since 2001.

OK then, that's fair enough. nmh is happy to accept them, but complains when
replying instead of attempting to fix them or just ignoring them. Is the
concensus that if I were to fix nmh, it should be quoting dotty phrases or
just allow sending of unquoted dotty phrases? I'm thinking the former from
what Richard has written above.

Jan Ingvoldstad said:
> Exchange admins can fix this, if they know their software.

Thanks for the information. In regard to fixing the other end, it's unlikely
that the campus Exchange servers will be changed to suit me and my outdated
mail set up :( I'm probably the only one suffering with this anyway!

With regard to fixing it at my end, I have looked at the relevant code in nmh
with a view to fixing it there. I can do that, but I thought if there was any
way to achieve it simply in exim, it might be quicker and easier to do it that
way instead.

The question is: will exim allow me to do this anyway? Nothing I've seen so
far in my searches seems to indicate that phrase rewriting is possible with
the usual internals of exim. If the answer is no, fixing nmh will be the only
route left to take.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Ian.

The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).