Re: [exim] Rewriting address phrases

Author: Drav Sloan
To: Ian Cameron
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rewriting address phrases
Ian Cameron wrote:
> The question is: will exim allow me to do this anyway? Nothing I've seen so
> far in my searches seems to indicate that phrase rewriting is possible with
> the usual internals of exim. If the answer is no, fixing nmh will be the only
> route left to take.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch31.html

Section 10. Flags controlling the rewriting process

When an address in a header is rewritten, the rewriting normally applies
only to the working part of the address, with any comments and RFC 2822
phrase left unchanged. For example, rewriting might change

From: Ford Prefect <fp42@???>

into

From: Ford Prefect <prefectf@???>

Sometimes there is a need to replace the whole address item, and this
can be done by adding the flag letter w to a rule.

There are more specifics on the page.

I imagine this could be achieved using some jiggery-pokery with ${extract{1}{<} ...

Regards

D.