Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag
On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 04:12:14 AM Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:

> The mailing list application might disable the subscription, that is, set
> it not to receive further messages, after too many such bounces. Mailman
> has options for handling this.
>
> Unfortunately, mailing lists are not necessarily applications.
>
> Assuming that they are will not lead to enlightenment.
>
> While I'm sure we can agree that, in an ideal world, mailing lists should
> be intelligent software, handling this deftly and accurately, we as mail
> exchange operators _cannot assume_ that this is the case.

My intended point is that if they're sending bounces for years they're not
playing by the rules, and I really don't want them. They may not be what you
call spammers, they may not even be what I call spammers, but they're
certainly sending unwanted email and I've got no way to stop them other than
to block them. Once they receive a bounce they should do something. They've
been receiving bounces for years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you haven't convinced me yet.

> In the same ideal world, spam wouldn't happen in the first place.
>
> I'm not fond of new and exciting ways to break Internet mail delivery. :(

I don't think I'm breaking email delivery when I'm refusing email with a note
explaining why.

Saying otherwise, in my opinion, is saying I need to accept all the email that
comes into my systems.

So where am I wrong?

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
Post Office Box 52200, Riverside, CA 92517