Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

Author: Bill Hayles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag
Hi, Always Learning

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:48:40 +0100 in message number <1311763720.4184.8.camel@???>, received here on 27/07/2011 15:21:35, Always Learning <exim@???> said:

> On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 11:32 +0200, Bill Hayles wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:54:52 -0700 in message number <201107261254.52611.blists@???>, received here on 27/07/2011 07:26:13, Jeff Lasman <blists@???> said:
> >

> > > Then why didn't they unsubscribe the addresses that got them on my blocklist
> > > in the first place?
>
> > Human nature. When you subscribe, you're keen and take the trouble to find
> > out how to do it. When the interest wears off, it's much easier to report
> > the list messages as spam (or just ignore them) rather than bother to
> > unsubscribe.
>

> Surely the mailing list application should delete subscriptions when
> deliveries bounce for a pre-determined number of occasions ?

I had to go back to remind myself of the original thread. Yes, if the
address is bouncing, the mailing list should suspend delivery.

I was thinking of the far more common (for me anyway) situation where the
e-mail address continues to be valid, so messages continue to be delivered,
but the person concerned reports them as spam to their ISP rather than
unsubscribing or contacting the list owner.

The first I know of it as the list owner is when I get a report from the ISP
concerned and have to work hard to avoid *my* IP getting on a blocklist.

It's the bane of my life, despite every one of my list messages including
unsubscribing instructions in the footers.

--
This is Spain. We do things differently here!

Bill Hayles
billnot@???