Re: [exim] Exim, 550 unknown local part and Outlook 2007/201…

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Odhiambo Washington
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>, Kurt Jaeger
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim, 550 unknown local part and Outlook 2007/2010

On 24 Jun 2011, at 08:53, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>> Anyone ever heard about it ? Does anyone know a fix for this ?
>> How can one configure Outlook to alert the user about the 550 response ?
>>

> This, you must ask Microsoft Support. It doesn't appear to have anything to
> do with Exim.

It does, but only obliquely.

In general, MUAs are not good at displaying SMTP error messages. As a result, I try to avoid giving 5xx and 4xx responses when a client has authenticated. Instead, I'll accept the message and queue it or bounce it. That way, the user gets a message in their mailbox, with a full description of the error.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex