Re: [exim] Exim, 550 unknown local part and Outlook 2007/201…

Autor: Graeme Fowler
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim, 550 unknown local part and Outlook 2007/2010
On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 21:40 +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Recently I came by a very strange effect: Outlook does not alert
> the user if the destination mail address does not exist.

Er...

> Anyone ever heard about it ? Does anyone know a fix for this ?
> How can one configure Outlook to alert the user about the 550 response ?

I just configured my work laptop to have a connection from Outlook to my
IMAP server, using my outbound SMTP server to send outgoing mail. I then
sent a deliberately unrouteable message which I knew would give me a
550.

I got this in the IMAP inbox:

So, for this one instance of Outlook 2010 there is no problem. I must
admit that this is a pleasant surprise. Also a pleasant surprise is that
Outlook 2010 will now permit me to choose where my Sent Items go for an
IMAP account.

Graeme