Re: [exim] Exim, 550 unknown local part and Outlook 2007/201…

Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim, 550 unknown local part and Outlook 2007/2010
Hello Kurt,

Kurt Jaeger <exim-dev@???> (Thu Jun 23 21:40:31 2011):
> Recently I came by a very strange effect: Outlook does not alert
> the user if the destination mail address does not exist.

Outlook can't tell wheter the destination addess exists or not. But
Outlook should tell the user about any 5xx during SMTP communication.
(Just to get the things right…)

> If you are using Outlook 2007 or 2010 to send a mail using SMTP-Auth
> from a user test@testdomain to a non-existing mailbox
> nosuchmail@testdomain, exim will return:
>
> 550 unknown local-part <nosuchmehl>
>
> in the SMTP dialog. Here's the log file:
>
> 2011-06-23 21:21:38 H=somehost (windog) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] I=[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:25 F=<test@testdomain> rejected RCPT <nosuchmail@testdomain>: unknown local-part <nosuchmail>
>
> But: Outlook 2007 or 2010 ignores this error: It does not raise an
> error, it does not return a failed mail, nothing. It happily sits
> there and says: everything's OK.
>
> Anyone ever heard about it ? Does anyone know a fix for this ?
> How can one configure Outlook to alert the user about the 550 response ?

Did you send this message to multiple recipients?

Generally, if you act as a submission server (and if you are sure about
the identity of the sender), you should accept all messages first, and
then generate bounces to the sender, if you encounter any failing
recipients.

This is more comfortable for the sender - getting a bounce with a list
of failed addresses. Otherwise you just get a popup (if at all) about some failure. Imagine a
list of 1000 recipients, and your Exim rejects just some of these.
Depending on the client it is almost impossible to sort out the failing
address.

Of course, no direct solution to your problem, but OTH I'd say, Outlook
can't be so stupid as you write (even it's an MS product), I'd try the find the error in some
other place…

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B