Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x
Phil Pennock wrote:

*snip*

Phil, we are on the same song-sheet on this one!

Sitting (mostly) in Asia, 8-bit, especially UTF-8, is dear to us, and
has not been a problem AT ALL with defaults. Nor with Qmail before Exim.
nor Courier-MTA. So it has been over a dozen years and 8BITMIME has not
bitten OURazz.

But after turning ON 8BITMIME, experimenting with DJB's site and a few
others, I came to the conclusion that punycode et al aren't just
'...baroque..'.

They just have to be the byproduct of a collective misuse of banned
substances, as the 'cure' is worse than the disease!

FAR worse..

> That, or at some point in the next year I'll drink enough whiskey to
> decide to tell some people where they can stick their idiot 7-bit
> systems

Fact is, hardware AND software-wise, most have already made the trip.
And long since. Any remaining damn well SHOULD be pushed off their perch.

> and just commit a change defaulting accept_8bitmime to on, then
> after the next release of Exim take a month-long holiday from the
> Internet to avoid the flame-wars until they settle down and everyone
> realises that in fact, DJB is right, Phil Hazel was right to refuse to
> implement protocol conversion and people are making a big fuss about a
> non-issue.

Why wait?

Give me a physical ship-to off-list, and I'll furnish the first bottle
or two to hasten the process.

Hope you don't mind single-malts. I am woefully ignorant about blends,
and wouldn't want to *harm* anyone...

;-)

Best,

Bill