Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

On 19 May 2011, at 19:05, W B Hacker wrote:

> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>>
> *snip*
>>
>> Well 8bitmime is implemented almost everywhere. The thing is, I can't
>> turn it on without installing a non-Exim smart host to downgrade
>> messages that I send to other Exim sites!
>
> Are you SURE about Exim not being able to handle it on the inbound if we were to switch to defaulting it ON?

If (a) all exim sites switch it on at the same time, and (b) all other sites are 8bitmime enabled, then we'll be OK. Big IFs.

> See Phil Hazel's response back in 2003 in this old thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/exim/users/22207
>
> If nothing has reverted, I read that as a U Cambridge server having accepted 8BITMIME with a 250-Ok many years and versions ago.

It doesn't advertise 8bitmime now. I'm not sure what would happen if I ignored that and sent 8bitmime anyway. Maybe it would be OK, but there may be other sites that would simply bounce the messages.