Re: [exim] Virtual Forward To's Eliminate NDR's

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Virtual Forward To's Eliminate NDR's
On 09/05/11 21:58, John Traweek wrote:
> We allow our customers to set up vanity email addresses, which we market
> as email for life accounts. The accounts are strictly forwarding

I have done something similar for quite some time too, although on a
much smaller and non-commercial scale.

To prevent bounces, I set the "errors_to" in the router on the forwarded
messages which are separated from normal traffic.

The errors_to used to be an SRS setup, and I do intend to put it back to
that system at some point, but for now it's just a complete catchall
subdomain. Anything that gets delivered to it is saved. A cron job goes
through the contents of this dropbox and disables any email addresses
that are bouncing at all.

Theoretically it should never receive spam messages on that subdomain,
but if it ever does, the subdomain can simply be changed since it only
exists inside a closed loop between the servers and the final
destination .. unless of course it gets forwarded on from there.

There are a number of broken auto-reply generators out there that send
to the envelope sender though, so not all email that ends up there can
be counted as a bounce. I say broken, but I haven't gone and checked to
see if they are doing anything wrong, it's just not what I expected and
I ended up triggering the freeze on accounts that were still active.