Re: [exim] Virtual Forward To's Eliminate NDR's

Author: Steffen Heil
To: 'John Traweek', exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Virtual Forward To's Eliminate NDR's
Hi

I think you should take a serious look at SRS, such that bounces get back to
your system instead of the original sending server.
And yes, exim can do RCPT-TO-verification, look out for "callout"s in the
manual.

Regards,
Steffen

accounts, so
> there is not a "mailbox" so to speak. Mail comes in, and is forwarded on

to a
> permanent account. So for example, a customer may wish to have an
> account user1@??? forward to user2@???.
> If two years from now, the customer changes ISP's from AOL to a Yahoo
> account, he or she would simply access our system and change the forward
> to user2@???.
>
> We have had this product in place for about ten years using a multitude of
> systems, including Barracuda gateways, a group of load balanced servers to
> perform the forwarding mechanism and another group of servers to perform
> the outbound delivery.
>
> I am looking at moving everything to a couple of servers running Exim4,
> SpamAssassin, ClamAV, and MySQL using virtual users. I am an exim newbie
> and Linux newbie, but have managed to get a test box set up on Ubuntu 8.04
> LTS and everything seems to be running great.
>
> One of the problems we have with our old setup is that people will let

their
> forward to address go bad and never update it. So when the message

finally
> gets to the outbound MTA's destined to one of these bad forward to's an
> NDR is generated and sent back to the sender. Not so good... It's a

perfect
> back spattering spam machine.
>
> One of the nice things I have noticed about Exim is that out of the box

with
> the way I have it set up it will verify the forward to domain. So for

example, I
> have virtualuser@??? forwarding to user@???.
> During the initial receiving transaction Exim will verify baddomain.com.

If it
> doesn't exist it will 550 the transaction and no NDR from my server.

Great!

> So my question is can it also verify the RCPT TO of the forwarding address
> during the original transaction as well? This would issue a transaction
> response back to the connecting MTA, thus preventing further
> NDRs being generated?
>
> If this is possible, what will happen with non permanent failures, such as
> 400's, ie mail box full etc? Will those be issued back to the originator

during
> the transaction, so the responsibility is put back on the originating MTA

> retry the transmission?
>
> TIA
>

> ________________________________
>

> John Traweek
> Executive Director, Information Technology Proud PCI Associate for 14

years
> PCI: the data company
> Heritage Square
> 4835 LBJ Freeway, Suite 1100
> Dallas, TX 75244
> 214.530.0394
> We drive engagement. We accelerate contributions.
>
> This Email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18

U.S.C.
> Sections 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. The information contained in

this
> Email is intended only for . If the reader of this message is not the

intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distributions

or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received

this