[exim] A cry for help - are there any plusnet admins out the…

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Dave Restall - System Administrator,,,
To: exim-users
Oggetto: [exim] A cry for help - are there any plusnet admins out there ?
Hi,

I use exim to receive and process my emails - have done for years.
I also use sender callouts - have done for years. Occasionally emails
get rejected because they are sent from non-existent addresses and sender
callouts don't like that.

Recently plusnet (www.plus.net) (an ISP !!!) sent me some administrative
emails that were rejected due to sender callouts, so - I raised a support
call and asked them to fix their systems and change the envelope addresses
to something sensible - I don't care what they change it to as long as
it resolves to a valid address. After much toing and froing, I got the
following back, basically they're telling me to whitelist their broken
addresses because 'the system is currently working as it was designed'.

I realise I'm not strictly sticking to the RFC's 'be liberal in what
you accept' in this case but why should I whitelist for their brain dead
configs ?

Before I go and really bend their ear on why they shouldn't be sending
emails with invalid addresses, and that I shouldn't really have to
whitelist their addresses because how can I know what the next failing
address will be if their systems are designed to be broken and that for
an ISP to have broken systems is really unacceptable, is there anybody
on the list that works for plusnet who can point me at the right email
address for their mail admins so I can make an appeal to the right people
instead of... ? I'm resisting adjectives here because I've worked for
a lot of years in a support environment and I don't want to label the
whole plusnet team.

ISTR in one of the earlier RFC's that there was a 'should not send from a
non-existent email address' and also a 'be conservative in what you send'
but I can't find them in recent RFC's, have things changed so much that
they can configure servers this way and ignore the problems ? (I don't
assiduously read RFC's nowadays). What are the current RFC's regarding
good mail server etiquette ?

I must admit plusnet have normally been good in responding to queries
and support calls - but I'm amazed at their attitude over this and it
makes me wonder what other corners they are cutting in order to provide
their service.

> We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer
> Support Centre has now escalated your Question [number 40296690 ]
> for further investigation.
>
> The following comment was added to the Question
>
> The Question 40296690 has been released from hold in the CSC - G pool
> and returned to the customer
>
> Dear Mr Restall,
>
> This has now been reviewed, and the system is currently working as it
> was designed.
>
> To resolve this issue, you are able to whitelist the addresses that you
> have given to us previously or disable the callback verification.
>
> Please note that Callback verification has no effect if spammers spoof
> real email addresses or use the null bounce address.
>
> Please take a look at the link below for further information on the
> limitations:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callback_verification
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin Mawson
>
> Read or respond to your Question -
> http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=questions
>
> IMPORTANT: Do not reply to this email, our Support Team can only deal
> with inquiries through the Help Assistant
>

> Regards,
> Customer Support
>
> --
> http://portal.plus.net
>

> PlusNet plc
> Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
> Registered in England no: 3279013
> VAT registration number: 842254440

Sorry about the looong rant :(

Regards,

lists/exi,/users/2011-03-24.tx                                 exim-users

| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave@???                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |

| The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity         |
| of play.                                                                   |
|         -- Kirk, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.8                            |