Re: [exim] Insults in support forum does Exim a disservice

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Insults in support forum does Exim a disservice
On 02/02/11 00:52, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 14:35, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
>
>> Exim becoming a dying product.
>
> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200911/mxsurvey.html
>
> Discuss.
>
> (More recent references welcome - I doubt the lines on the graph have
> changed direction significantly)

The popularity of Exim is due to it being included in cPanel isn't it?
Most (if not all) of the users of cPanel have no clue how to operate or
configure their MTA, they just use the web page config UI. Of course,
these aren't the users that will be dealing with any config change -
that will be the packagers.

Regardless, I also don't see Exim being a dying product. I wont be
stopping using it and will be working to fix any bugs in it if needed.
There are others here who are significantly more involved than me as
demonstrated by their much more significant efforts with the (fixed long
ago) root bug and privilege escalation. The help from people not
normally on the list was also brilliant.

Exim is just such a powerful MTA. Anyone who wants to have a high degree
of control over their email, do pretty much whatever they want, and
spend the time to actually read the manual will be quite happy with Exim.