[exim] Insults in support forum does Exim a disservice

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Insults in support forum does Exim a disservice
People in this forum need to grow up and stop acting like infants. And
I'm not talking about the fringe, I'm talking about people who are
supposed to be core supporters/developers of Exim.

The last 2 version of Exim (I skipped 4.73) introduced new policies that
broke installation that have worked fine for the last 10 years. But when
someone asks a question about it - you all get extraordinarily insulting.

In doing so you don't hurt me - you hurt Exim because it make you all
look like angry people with so little emotional control that you can't
function in normal society. If doing support were a real job many of you
wouldn't last a day.

Let me recap. I left a message because a configuration that had been
working fine for the last 10 years stopped working when I compiled
version 4.74. I left the following message inquiring about it.

I'm getting exim.conf has the wrong owner, group, or mode in Exim 4.74.

Works correctly with 4.72.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 mail mail 10523 Jan 26 08:58 /etc/exim/conf/exim.conf

Not sure what I'm doing wrong

Granted I didn't read the Changelog to see that the rules for ownership that were fine for the last 10 years have changed. I point this out partly from a usability point of view. A better error message might have been "Exim no longer allows the configuration files to be writable be the Exim default user. Please change ownership or permissions on /etc/exim/exim.conf."

However the response I got were just insults.

Nigel Metheringham

So you insist on having config files that can be modified by the
user your mail system runs as.
Some people might say you are courageous.
I think you are an idiot.
Geniuses, you just can't teach em.

Peter Bowyer
Not employing a sysadmin with more than one braincell.

I'd love to hear your use case for needing the Exim config file to be
world-executable....

Graeme Fowler

1. You clearly do not follow the mailing list;
2. You clearly have not seen the CVEs which were issued regarding
security issues in Exim which permitted external third-parties to gain
remote access to a system by exploiting a bug within the config file
handling code;
3. I think you warrant a*slightly* - but only slightly - more polite
reply.

YA THINK!

It might come as a shock to you but not every Exim user follows this list. This is one of dozens of pieces of software that I use. And why would I or ANYONE want to follow this list when the admins here act like babies? If this were a real support job you'd be fired on the first day.

If all of you think it's so stupid to run these open permissions then what does that say about you developers? If it took you 10 years to figure it out then why be angry at the users? If there's a bug it's the developer's fault.

But getting to the point - this is an angry forum where the core people create an atmosphere of arrogance and insults and it is resulting in this forum and Exim becoming a dying product. The behaviour of the admins here is inexcusable and if you don't learn how to control your emotions and be respectful then no one is going to want to be here.