Re: [exim] Log interpretation

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Log interpretation
Richard Gilbert wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Thank you for taking an interest in my question...
>
> On 28/01/11 18:29, W B Hacker wrote:
>> J Richard Gilbert wrote:
>>> route_list = sheffield.ac.uk gmail.shef.ac.uk/MX
>>
>> Is that verbatim?
>>
>> EG; nothing but whitespace between ..ac.uk and gmail.shef..
>
> Yes
>
>> And what of gmail.shef.ac.uk?
>>
>> Local DNS entry? /etc/hosts file? or ??
>
> gmail.shef.ac.uk is in the main University DNS. I thought it was a good
> way to incorporate the MX preferences which Google specify in their
> documentation...
>
> $ host -t mx gmail.shef.ac.uk
> gmail.shef.ac.uk mail is handled by 10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
> gmail.shef.ac.uk mail is handled by 10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.
> gmail.shef.ac.uk mail is handled by 1 aspmx.l.google.com.
> gmail.shef.ac.uk mail is handled by 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
> gmail.shef.ac.uk mail is handled by 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
>
> Richard

Ah, OK.

But I think we are still missing a bit of the puzzle.

EG: mail is addressed to

<valid_example@???>

- which [ gets it into | leads it out of ] Sheffield U.

to a final destination of:

<valid_example@somewhere_gmailish.tld>

Or do I have that bass-ackwards?

Maybe I'm just having a learning-disabled day, but so far I see a glimpse of the
method, but much less about the specifics of the need it is meant to satisfy.

Bill