Re: [exim] Log interpretation

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Log interpretation
J Richard Gilbert wrote:
>    route_list = sheffield.ac.uk gmail.shef.ac.uk/MX

Is that verbatim?

EG; nothing but whitespace between ..ac.uk and gmail.shef..

And what of gmail.shef.ac.uk?

Local DNS entry? /etc/hosts file? or ??

Separately:

> The delivery in question happened on 14th December. I guess I need to see
> whether this sort of thing is happening all the time before I look to
> capture it in the logs of a very busy server.

ACK. Could have been as simple as a (series of) network glitches that
interrupted some of the sessions.. Adjacent cabling being moved about, even..

But .. if so .. adjacent log entries should ALSO show anomalies for other-than
this router.

Any other 'players' in the pool - not necessarily MTA -using same facilities
that might have coms anomalies logged at the same time?

Any router maintenance scheduled?

Bill