Re: [exim] Log interpretation

Author: J Richard Gilbert
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Log interpretation
On 26 January 2011 21:16, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

> Richard Gilbert wrote:
> > I have been asked to investigate a problem with mail delivery to a
> > number of students in our Google Apps for Education domain. A user sent
> > a single message to 18 students. The log entries look like the
> following:
> >
> > 2010-12-14 11:06:04 1PSSho-0003J4-D9<= sender@??? ...
> > 2010-12-14 11:06:05 1PSSho-0003J4-D9 =>  recipient1@???
> > R=google_router T=google_smtp H=aspmx.l.google.com [209.85.229.27]
> > 2010-12-14 11:06:05 1PSSho-0003J4-D9 ->  recipient2@???
> > R=google_router T=google_smtp H=aspmx.l.google.com [209.85.229.27]
> >      :   :
> > 2010-12-14 11:06:05 1PSSho-0003J4-D9 ->  recipient6@???
> > R=google_router T=google_smtp H=aspmx.l.google.com [209.85.229.27]
> > 2010-12-14 11:06:05 1PSSho-0003J4-D9 =>  recipient7@???
> > R=google_router T=google_smtp H=aspmx.l.google.com [209.85.229.27]
> > 2010-12-14 11:06:05 1PSSho-0003J4-D9 ->  recipient8@???
> > R=google_router T=google_smtp H=aspmx.l.google.com [209.85.229.27]
> > ... and so on.

> > There is a single<= entry, but four => entries and 14 -> entries.
> > What I don't understand is how a single message with 18 recipients can
> > end up being delivered to the same destination host address in four
> > separate connections. (I suppose one can't be sure which of the four
> > connections the later -> entries are associated with.) Can anyone
> > explain this for me.
>
> You'll want to peruse and/or publish here, the router/transport set the log
> cites as utilised -
>
> R=google_router T=google_smtp

The google_router is a hack to deal with the problem that some of the users
in the sheffield.ac.uk domain have mail delivered to our own servers while
others have it delivered to the sheffield.ac.uk Google Apps for Education
domain. Such users have their addresses temporarily mapped to addresses
like google!r.gilbert@???, which are then handled by the router:

google_router:
driver = manualroute
domains = sheffield.ac.uk
local_part_prefix = google!
route_list = sheffield.ac.uk gmail.shef.ac.uk/MX
transport = google_smtp
retry_use_local_part

The google_smtp transport is a simple smtp transport with a 25M size limit:

google_smtp:
driver = smtp
message_size_limit = 25M

And it might help to turn up logging to +all temporarily, so as to be sure
> you
> can 'see' if there is any greylisting, single-recipient/single
> per-connection
> limiting or other defer action showing itself.

The delivery in question happened on 14th December. I guess I need to see
whether this sort of thing is happening all the time before I look to
capture it in the logs of a very busy server.

> As it is not the 'default' remote-smtp router/transport, any anal - ysis
> would
> be guesswork until you/we have sight of what that bespoke router/tramsport
> is
> doing...or attempting to do..

Thank you

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services