[exim] Script sending email out of procmail creates multiple…

Author: Konstantin Boyandin
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Script sending email out of procmail creates multiple copies of messages
Hello,

I am using Exim 4.72 on CentOS 5.5 and stumbled upon a strange phenomenon.

I am using procmail to conditionally send email notifications (actually,
SMS notification by means of email to SMS gateway) when a subject line
matches certain criteria.

The procmail recipe runs a Perl script and pipes to it message headers.
The script takes recipients' emails from its command line and sends an
email to every one of them.

The script, in a loop, sends email to every email address provided in
command line and prints message to stdout for logging purposes.

The problem is that script sends N copies of every message (N is the
number of email addresses passed), even though it outputs the
corresponding log string only once (i.e., it piped message to /bin/mail
only once per every email provided).

Message IDs differs for all the copies of the same message to the same
recipient, but is the same for all messages of a 'batch' send to all the
different recipient.

What can lead to such a behaviour, where shall I look for the cause of this?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Konstantin