Re: [exim] Market presence

Author: Alain Williams
To: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Market presence
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 03:19:37PM -0700, Todd Lyons wrote:
> Over on Spam-L someone posted a couple links about mail server
> percentages. I was a bit surprised to see how well Exim fared in the
> final numbers, mainly that Exim was number one! I had no idea that
> there were so many exim installations out there. One participant's
> comment attributes a fair amount of that presence to cPanel
> integration, which was another interesting fact in that I didn't know
> there was that much cPanel out there either.
>
> http://www.stillhq.com/research/smtpsurveys_feb2010.html
> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200909/mxsurvey.html
>
> I had not heard of these, were they common knowledge?

I had not seen them.

Note there are 2 ways of measuring MTA use; the number of servers visible
and the volume of email that they carry[**] and the latter is probably
more interesting, but is harder to measure - but (IIRC) some guys at Southampton
tried.

[**] Message counts is what I mean, I can't see the point of measuring bytes.
     Note that an individual message will normally pass through at least 2 MTAs.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/