Re: [exim] Don't split syslog lines

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Don't split syslog lines
Hello,

Yves Goergen <nospam.list@???> (So 26 Sep 2010 22:25:17 CEST):
> I've read the Exim documentation about log files and it says that
> messages from the reject log will always be split into separate syslog
> calls for each line of the message. There doesn't seem to be a
> configuration option to turn that behaviour off.

I'd really think about using syslog for logging purpose on a mailserver.
As a mail service should be focused on security in any sense, I would
not rely on syslog for logging.

When logging via syslog Exim can't check if there is enough log space or
if the messages are written at all. I'd like to see my mailserver
refusig mails (4xx) if there is a logging problem, since I *have* to
have records about any action the mail server did.

Sorry, it's not the answer to your question, but I CNR.

To have at least on part of your mail answered: Exim does not have an
built in option for logging via a database. But with some fake lookup
you could pass information to some database, or you can write some
custom perl functions for logging to some database.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -