Re: [exim] Exim4 configuration problems

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Phil Pennock
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users, Face
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Exim4 configuration problems
On 2010-07-05 at 09:41 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Um, you missed out:
>
>  * As a paying customer, contact your ISP and complain. If they actually
>    responded to abuse reports properly, then they wouldn't have such a
>    poor reputation and you wouldn't be tarred with the same brush as
>    your 'neighbours'. Their failure to respond to abuse reports has
>    directly resulted in a degradation of the service you're paying for.

True. But I figure that a large chunk of it is language issues. While
it's tempting for me to think of English as a special case, is it
really? Should every ISP on the planet be required to have people
fluent in the top 50 languages staffing their abuse desks?

I happen to think that English + Local Language + Google Translate will
do for most ISPs, but there's at least two sources of bias in that
opinion. :)

So I'm rarely surprised when ISPs from non-English areas of the world
end up in blacklists run by English-speakers and more surprised at the
level of opprobrium which those operators direct at anyone who doesn't
respond ideally. For instance, did they send a bi-lingual complaint
mail with Arabic text as the Subject and, at least, the introduction, to
permit the low-paid front-line staffer to direct the message onto the
right people, who are probably better educated and more likely to handle
the English?

-Phil, who used to work at a bi-lingual ISP, where all the staff were
       required to have good English, but this was not normal for ISPs.