Re: [exim] Exim Mailing List - Imposing Mimimum Technical Po…

Author: Always Learning
To: Exim Users

W B Hacker wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:33:46 -0400.

> So Paul,
>
> ... you didn't actually read *any* of these RFC?

I am trying to do an overwhelming pile of work.

> ... and both citing a minimum' of '0' occurrences of the 'To:' field.

That does NOT matter to me. The policy here is emails without

are rejected. If the senders are really desperate to communicate with us
they can send a fax, fill-in a web form, telephone us via the PSTN or
via our various international VOIP facilities, text their message to any
of our landline phone numbers or use an email creation program capable
of automatically inserting ALL of those 5 headers.

> That is a *zero* in case your mail reader font didn't make it clear.
>
> Martin and I have been known to disagree over RFC interpretations.
> Bigtime.
> ;-)
>
> But there is *no wiggle-room at all* on this one.
>
> The relevant RFC permits a missing 'To:' field.

But dear friendly Bob, Mr & Mrs RFC & their Family and all their
supporters ain't running our Exim server. We are.

> .. and - not to put too fine a point on it, 'To:' is not the only field that may
> be omitted. Several of your pets have 'conditional' omission permitted (see
> their notes).
>
> And an *unconditional* 'zero' count is granted for:
>
> reply-to
> cc
> bcc
> subject
>
> Yes, even an empty Subject: is permitted.
>
> Annoying? Usually!
>
> But prohibited? NOT.
>
> Doubt you will suceed at boiling this ocean - but you could wake up and smell
> the coffee before the undertow sucks you further out to sea.

I've never had any desire to boil any ocean. Just raising the
temperature by 1°C requires more energy than I can obtain. It is also
anti-environmental to raise the temperature of any ocean because of the
irreparable damage to the world's convector current (consisting of
denser salt water) caused by melting ice and the dilution of that
convector current.

If I were someone like you I would not bother too much that someone
somewhere in the world is rejecting what they consider to be incomplete
emails. There are a lot more serious problems all over the planet and
our individual lifetimes are definitely finite.

Wishing you a pleasant evening and weekend.

Paul.